Pokémon Uranium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX

+7
monkeyslippers1989
TJTJ772
WompRat
CedricM
zombonie12345
fireferrets
Involuntary Twitch
11 posters

Go down

Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX Empty Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX

Post by fireferrets 2014-12-27, 15:44

Greetings fellow Trainers! I couldn't find any posts about running Uranium on Mac, so I thought I'd let you know how to go about it if you so choose.

My setup:
- Mac OSX 10.9.5
- Wine 1.6.1

To configure wine (one-time setup):

1. Download Uranium's .MSI file and right-click. Run with Wine. Complete installation wizard.
  2. Go to Wine > Configuration.
  3. Under Applications, Add application... - navigate to your Pokemon Uranium installation and select it by double-clicking on the "Uranium.exe" file.
  4. For "Windows Version", select "Windows XP".
  5. Switch to "Libraries" tab. Type "dwrite"  into "New override for library" and click "Add". Edit the dwrite override and select "Disable". Hit "Apply" to close configuration window.
  6. Go to Wine > winetricks. Check "d3dx9_36", "directplay", "directmusic" and click "Apply".

Now you should be able to launch and play Uranium without problems (Wine > File Manager, then navigate to the Uranium.exe). If you want a desktop shortcut to run Uranium in a snap, you should be able to use wine bottler to make that happen.

These are the steps I took based on the errors I saw on my machine - YMMV, but give it a shot and let me know if it works for you, too!

Edit: if you would like help debugging any issues, please post your log output (Wine > Show Wine Log) on this thread.

Last edited by fireferrets on 2015-01-22, 15:05; edited 1 time in total
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX Empty Re: Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2014-12-27, 16:00

:O! You got it to work?

We did some basic testing for a Mac version using Wineskin, but with only one tester (neither JV nor I are Mac users) we couldn't develop a version that was stable enough that we were comfortable with releasing it. I'll pin this topic so more people can see it.
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX Empty Re: Guide: Running Uranium 4.0 (Windows-version) on MacOSX

Post by fireferrets 2014-12-27, 16:09

Yeah, it's fantastic - pretty fast and saves game and all that jazz.
>^_^<
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by fireferrets 2014-12-28, 22:41

Update: I have seen some crashes now, but only on animations in battle. When they're turned off, I don't experience any crashes.
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by zombonie12345 2014-12-29, 01:35

With that setup it works on Mac OSX 10.10 aswell thankyou

zombonie12345
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by CedricM 2014-12-29, 09:22

when i start it it falls out after a minute or 2 and there pops a windom open with "something went terribly wrong"??

CedricM
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by fireferrets 2014-12-29, 20:42

Hey CedricM, can you give a little more info on your setup? What version of Wine are you using? Did you complete the steps to include winetricks? When it crashes, winelog should have a stacktrace, if you can include that, I may have more ideas for you.
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by WompRat 2015-01-03, 14:16

Hello all!

I am a huge Pokemon fan trying to reignite some childhood passion Smile

My troubles--
I'm running OS X 10.10.1 and I've installed Wine 1.6.2.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get past the first step of this guide. Pokemon Uranium 4.0 is on my computer in the form of an msi file, and I'm not sure how to convert it into an exe file. When I run it with Wine, I cannot find the Uranium file on the computer, meaning I cannot add it as an application.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

WompRat
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by fireferrets 2015-01-03, 14:26

Hello WompRat,
You don't have to convert MSI to EXE. You run the MSI installer (which will install the program in your Wine directory hierarchy) by ctrl-clicking (or right-clicking) on the MSI file and running with Wine. Once it is installed, you can go to Wine > File Manager and navigate to the program (probably under Program Files) to run it.
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by WompRat 2015-01-03, 14:37

Thanks for the response!
Alright, so when I try to run Uranium, Wine asks me to put in the name of the program I want it to open. When I select Uranium, no installer comes up. A few folder icons rapidly appear then disappear on my dock, and that's it.
More guidance?

WompRat
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by fireferrets 2015-01-04, 01:35

Wow, that is strange. This is what I see on my side, tell me if your flow is the same:
1) Right-click on Pokemon Uranium 4.0 Beta.msi
2) Click on Open With.. > Wine.app
3) A window pops up:
Text: You are about to open a Wine file.
What would you like to do with it?
Your choice should be:
Run directly in /Users/yourUsernameOnYourMac/.wine
then click "Go".
4) From there the setup wizard for Uranium starts.

If you are seeing something different, there are some more ways we can debug. If you can give me the exact wording you are seeing or take screencaps, it helps me to identify what is causing the issue (though no promises, I'm no expert!!) Optimally, you would use same Wine version (1.6.1) - I know it's not latest anymore, but at least we could see more similar results.

Also, if you go to Wine > Wine log the Log should pop up. This can help us debug what is going on maybe when you try to run it (depending on whether it crashes when Wine is running). So, let's have you Clear Display on the log, then try to right-click, open with wine on the MSI file and see if anything shows up in the Show Wine Log. If so, please paste it here so I can take a look, too?
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by zombonie12345 2015-01-13, 06:00

CedricM wrote:when i start it it falls out after a minute or 2 and there pops a windom open with "something went terribly wrong"??

Did you follow step 5 properly cause that happened to me cause i didn't do step 5 properly?
https://i.servimg.com/u/f38/19/09/73/35/screen10.jpg
that is where you do step 5

zombonie12345
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by TJTJ772 2015-01-15, 11:48

Hi every one, I was looking for a fan made Pokémon and a lot of my friends recommended this one. I wasn't sure if i could use Wine(Mac) to play it. The game loaded up fine but right after the Dialogue with "Mum" ended the music kept playing but nothing else did anything. i couldn't move, interact with anything or open any windows. If there is anything i'm doing wrong please let me know.

TJTJ772
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by fireferrets 2015-01-22, 14:54

Please check the Wine log and drop the output here when you experience crashes, then it's easier for us to work together to find solutions. Wine > Show Wine Log
fireferrets
fireferrets
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by monkeyslippers1989 2015-01-27, 17:20

Is this the only way of playing Uranium on a mac?
i just got a mac, and am still learning how to use it. I downloaded Wine and it came up as a bunch of files and folders. Everywhere i look just confuses me more on how wine is used.
will there ever be a downloadable version for the mac?

monkeyslippers1989
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerthetailor 2015-02-07, 17:03

Hello!  I'm a new Uranium player (using a Mac) and would just like to say thank you for this guide.  I had some issues at first, but they were mostly due to the fact that I was using the in-development version of Wine, not the stable one.  The in-development version didn't feature the correct Winetricks, and I believe that's where my problems were originating (I could load the game, but it always crashed at the same spot during the flash-black animation at the beginning).  For other Mac users who may be having issues, I recommend using the following link and downloading the 'stable' version of Wine:

winebottler.kronenberg.org

The Mac guide listed above should work.  Just a note: I'm using Yosemite on a Macbook Pro, if that's any help.  Thanks again, and I really look forward to playing! Very Happy

tigerthetailor
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by aozura 2015-04-02, 00:19

where can i find the Uranium's .MSI file. i played without doing this using wineskin but it crashed after creating the player...

aozura
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JV~ 2015-04-02, 07:43

aozura wrote:where can i find the Uranium's .MSI file. i played without doing this using wineskin but it crashed after creating the player...

The .msi is the actual installer you download from the Internet.
~JV~
~JV~
Admin

https://pokemonuranium.forumeiro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aozura 2015-04-02, 08:45

where can i find it?

aozura
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by zombonie12345 2015-05-16, 09:35

monkeyslippers1989 wrote:Is this the only way of playing Uranium on a mac?
i just got a mac, and am still learning how to use it. I downloaded Wine and it came up as a bunch of files and folders. Everywhere i look just confuses me more on how wine is used.
will there ever be a downloadable version for the mac?

Yes this is the only way for mac users to play Uranium for now

zombonie12345
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by emchiri 2015-05-28, 21:45

Hey is there a way to get the patcher working? I run it and it says download failed....

emchiri
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by zombonie12345 2015-05-28, 23:37

emchiri wrote:Hey is there a way to get the patcher working?  I run it and it says download failed....

have you pointed it to launch Patcher.exe not Uranium.exe

zombonie12345
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down