Pokémon Uranium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP)

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Empty Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP)

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-19, 18:41

Wait what isn't this a Pokemon game forum-

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) T0mgx4t

Oh. It's a Let's Play. In that case...

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is a 2015 game released exclusively for the Playstation Vita. I've been waiting for this game ever since its announcement, and although I haven't played a whole lot so far it's really shaping up to be something good. The "Digimon Story" brand has been applied to previous games, specifically a group of games that were released on the Nintendo DS. You may have seen them as "Digimon World DS" and "Digimon World Dawn/Dusk." There were two other entries that were not localized, but in any case, Cyber Sleuth carries on their spirit in a way I really like. As a longtime Digimon fan, and a longtime Pokemon fan, I feel like that old rivalry between the franchises should be put to rest, and maybe I can show some interested folks how great Digimon is.

I'll do my best to make this both informative and humorous. If you aren't familiar with Digimon, no worries - I'll do my best to explain along the way. Feel free to ask questions if anything else needs cleared up, but if you already know the game don't post spoilers and all that jazz. Oh, and some questions that I might as well address before we start:

Q: What's a Digimon?
A: Digimon is short for "digital monster" like Pokemon is short for "pocket monster." Digimon are sentient, sapient creatures, however, unlike Pokemon who are generally portrayed as being like animals. Digimon also live in their own digital world separate from the human world, which is generally portrayed as the real world contemporaneous with whatever time period a form of Digimon media is made.

Q: But isn't it just a Pokemon ripoff?
A: Get out.

...in all seriousness, beyond the monster-collecting idea (which every Japanese franchise and their mother was doing in the 90s), the two are very different. Also, the Digimon anime is better than the Pokemon anime could ever hope to be THERE I SAID IT IT'S OUT THERE NOW

Q: Why can't I read any of the text?
A: The game is in Japanese! ...no, I can't speak Japanese, but I can speak Google Translate (and know a few videos on Youtube that translate stuff) so I have an idea of what's going on. I will attempt to sum up the plot to the best of my ability. From what I hear this game's plot is really good, so conveying that to you guys is a top priority here.

Q: So then when will this game be localized?
A: ...I wouldn't count on it. Without going into specifics, Digimon fandom basically killed Digimon in the west, so while it's still going strong in its country of origin we see very little of it here. Hence why I had to import the game. Thank goodness the Vita isn't region-locked.

Q: Can we interact with the LP in any manner?
A: Sure! I've already picked out my final team of Digimon that I will be using, because I'm weird like that. Before I get to a major boss fight I'll post a poll where the options consist of my current roster, and whoever people like gets to take the spotlight for that battle. I'd poll for every update, but that limits how often I can play and also makes keeping a balanced team very difficult.

Anyway, I will explain the game's mechanics and other specifics as we get to them, because as you may be aware, RPGs can be a bit dense with that stuff at times. Plus, this post is running a bit long already...

Oh dear, this post is a bit long, isn't it? Well, I'll just have to start the LP proper next post. Until then, here's a preview of what you can expect:

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) SrbrMP8

Next Time: Welcome to EDEN

Chapter Index:

Last edited by Mercury45 on 2015-05-21, 00:40; edited 5 times in total
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Empty Re: Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP)

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-19, 23:21

All right, I don't want to keep people waiting too long, so let's get started right away, shall we?

Part 1: Welcome to EDEN

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 4HNwets

The start screen has two options, "New Game" and "Continue." Naturally, we've no save file so all we can do is pick a new game.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) DDi7Xmy

Why thank you, I shall. Wait, what does this have to do with Digi-

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) FVId8Px

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Ey6c6DU

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) H2yfsi7

We're logged into a locked chat room marked "BB." As soon as the password is verified, a stream of chat messages float by. None of them are important, they're just snippets of everyday conversations.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) YOZU0C6

And here's the chatroom we've logged into. Akino, the user represented by the pink avatar in the upper-left, broaches the subject of "Digimon" with the group. We find out from discussion with the chat that Digimon are apparently dangerous programs that are being used by hackers to derail network systems. Hackers with "Digimon" programs can do just about anything with ease, whether it's stealing passwords or slipping by firewalls.

This is all a cutscene, by the way. We have no actual input here.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) IN1gDrh

Fallen Angel of Darkness (the purple blob): "There seem to be areas with loose Digimon hanging around."
Akino: "Huh, roaming Digimon?! LOL"
Fantaji (the moustached fellow): "Apparently it's a program where the avatars really look like monsters."
ArujaNON (the duck): "Digimon -> [Digital Monsters]?"

The gang keeps twittering about some more, but then...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UAtLSXZ

"Nabitto-kun has logged in"

Wait, who?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 776N5h8

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ZVo14Kb

Yes, really.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) R0YQM7d

From the ensuing discussion, we learn that Nabitto-kun is the mascot of "EDEN," though we aren't told what that is just yet. Everyone thinks this is some strange PR stunt. On top of that, the chatroom was locked, so BlueBox (the fellow who started the chatroom, he has the "BB" on his hat) questions just who this guy is.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RDmpOkS

Nabitto-kun introduces himself as a hacker and tells us that he has a present for us all. We're supposed to login to EDEN tomorrow or else, as he says in the red text in the bottom-left speech box, "You'll be hacked."

You can't tell from this, but there's a little speech effect for each of the avatars talking. Nabitto-kun's sounds super cute but suddenly goes deep and ominous for the "You'll be hacked" line. Proper creepy effect, that. ANd just as suddenly as he appeared, he leaves.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) FHupWun

Most of the group is skeptical of the self-proclaimed hacker's threat, but Akino wants to check it out! Everyone else is scared, except for BlueBox who decides to go along since it's pointless to talk her out of it. When she asks for more volunteers, everyone wusses out. Everyone... except one brave, intelligent, handsome soul.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) L4etutF

"I'll go!"

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9ERg2WY

It's finally character creation time! All right, quick confession: these first few updates are actually a hybrid of two different runs' screencaps. The reason for this is that, initially, I couldn't input a name in English. Turns out I had to activate a certain keyboard on the Vita to do so, and I started the game over so I could have a recognizable name. If you see any discrepancies that's why, although the difference between runs is so minor it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UfepD3X

(I'm not gonna say it. You can't make me say it. No Pokemon references here.)

We can choose between a boy or a girl, which is accessed by the top option on the creation screen. As far as I know the difference is purely aesthetic, though the player characters have some rare voiced lines. Oh yeah, that's a thing - this game is voice-acted! Not that you can tell in text form... the protagonist isn't silent, and in fact has a little bit of dialogue, but unlike the other characters theirs is not voiced. Dialogue is limited to a few lines said at the beginning or end of battles. The boy's default name is "Takumi" while the girl's is "Ami." They both have the surname of "Aiba" which cannot be changed.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Zn7IwqK

With that, we're logged into EDEN, which is run by Kamishiro Enterprises as you can see here. We'll be hearing the Kamishiro name a lot in this game...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Prqru9N

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 4C5Fdmp

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Fkxgqjq

A voiceover explains that EDEN is a "digital paradise" with entertainment, shopping, business, and anything else one could possibly want or need. Instead of a screen, users interact via the use of a digital avatar, and have the ultimate virtual experience.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) YUpGzki

So yeah, it's probably totally evil then. Look, it's an RPG, we all know this is going to go horribly wrong... on the plus side, you can fly in EDEN! That's really cool!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VHfj1ig

Mercury logs into EDEN, not knowing the trials and tribulations that await him. Right now, he is just a normal kid with impossibly stylish clothes and a sweet set of goggles, but soon, he will come in contact with a world beyond imagination and become... the world's greatest Cyber Sleuth!

(how was that? Was that dramatic enough?)

Next Time: Mercury Gears Up
there'll be Digimon in this one, I swear
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Empty Re: Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP)

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2015-04-20, 11:41

This is SO COOL! (I thought I commented on the first post, but ah well...) I loved Digimon World Dawn/Dusk, but I always felt like the whole cyber world aspect of the story was underutilized. This game, which is apparently a spiritual successor to the Digimon World games, totally does what I wanted to see out of a Digimon game all along.

Getting a very "Summer Wars" vibe from the story so far and those visuals... well, it's hard to ignore the similarities, they've got a lot in common thematically.

Can't wait for more! Oh, and if you're taking votes for which Digimon to add to your team, my vote's on Dorugamon!
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-20, 12:28

Ah, I should clarify - I already know which Digimon I'll be using, but voting is more than welcome on which ones out of that group you'll like to see!

Of course I don't have any Digimon at this point in the playthrough, but that will change in time, haha. My intent is to have an up-to-date roster at the end of each part, and then everyone will be able to have a say in who they'd like to see from that list!
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-20, 14:47

So is this game basically a new Digimon World game like the old PS1 ones? Because that would be amazing.

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-20, 14:50

This is more of a traditional RPG. There are some elements that might seem a tad familiar, but if you're looking for an experience like the original Digimon World I'd direct you toward Digimon World Re:Digitize for the PSP, or its 3DS port Re:Digitize Decode.

There may or may not be a few characters from that game showing up in this one, just saying now.

Also, I should have another update sometime today, though updates will probably not be as frequent once I get through my current backlog of screenshots (it's still a while til we get to that point, though).
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-20, 14:51

So it's like a Digimon JRPG? That would be even better honestly.

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-20, 15:03

Yup! I'll explain more about the rules/mechanics of battle when we get to that point, but it'll feel pretty familiar for people familiar with the genre.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-20, 15:21

And it's not localized yet, do you know if there are plans to do so? Because I'd get the hell out of that.

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-20, 19:56

Well, I covered that a tad in the original post, but to put it simply: if you want this game, you should probably just import it. Digimon games are highly unlikely to come to the US anymore (especially since the most recent one, which was explicitly said to be a gauge of interest in the franchise, sold poorly).

Without any further ado...

Part 2: Mercury Gears Up

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) AesCimT

Here's the first place where we can actually take control of gameplay! This is but one small section of EDEN.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) OtdY3P8

Mercury, shown here in an alternate timeline where he was named Takumi, monlogues internally about how he got here early and therefore can afford to spend some time while he waits around for Akino and BlueBox. To progress, you need to talk to the shady-looking youth in the sleeveless hoodie, but there's some value to exploring.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RS6LgWl

First area and there's shinies already. Game knows how to please.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) FqwAD6h

"Obtained a Gummymon medal"

While we have no idea what a Gummymon medal is at the moment, let's just say that these are collectible items found throughout the game. I don't know what their purpose is yet, but anything shiny seems worth collecting to me.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RHlbPK7

Here's the menu screen. There's no point in accessing it right now, but as you can see I have 2000 yen to start off with. The important icons for the time being are the Digimon icon, which is selected, the items icon (the folder) and the save icon (the one with the S).

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) OWhqqju

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Xqkmuk9

Talking to the shady guy in the hoodie triggers a brief scene where our hero spies the exit to other areas and, deciding there's still time before the meetup, chooses to explore a little further. Taking the warp pad leads to the map screen, where we can now access another section of EDEN! The logout option takes us back to the real world, but we can't leave right now since we've got friends waiting, after all.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ON6lShL

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) C81e4du

Upon arriving in the next area, we get a message on our digivice, which is like a PDA specifically for use in EDEN, from an annoyed Nabitto-kun, who tells us we're late and need to get to the "Coulomb Junk Park." Apparently Akino and BlueBox are there, and we won't get a "present" if everyone isn't present. Not that he tells us where the Junk Park is...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) C81e4du

...so it's up to us to ask around, meaning we're given our first keyword. This is an important non-battle mechanic. Sometimes we're going to have to go digging for information, and plying the right people with the right keywords is the ticket to learning what you need to know.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 0qhZVk3

This time, the guy we need to talk to is right nearby. (After picking up a couple spare medals in the area first!) People with padlocks over their heads are important to talk to, as they can be pressed about the keywords you have. When you get the info you need, the lock will open and you can proceed with the story.

This "peevish salaryman" somehow knows that hackers tend to hang out in the Coulombs, which are abandoned areas leftover from the building of EDEN. He claims it's not safe, but tells us regardless that we should probably go find a hacker if we're looking to find the URL to the Coulomb.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Q6fGmeg

Returning to the first area lets us speak to... this woman, who doesn't know anything. I don't think you even have to talk to her to progress. Why's she in the game, then? IT'S A MYSTERY

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 2gPOJBx

This is the guy we want to talk to. After a brief chat with him, he gives us the URL to the Coulomb, which is now unlocked in the navigation menu.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) KSJWUEJ

Personally, I quite like how this map of EDEN is arranged. A brief cutscene plays showing our journey to the Coulomb...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Fz04poO

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9qTQMO7

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) IGWP2Fh

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 2NYAAfO

This looks about right.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) T4aSx1y

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Gi3i64B

I'm sure Mercury deciding to stop here has nothing to do with the fact that this lovely young woman seems to be lost and needing help. It's probably because she's shouting "You're late!" at him.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) AlCL0O2

As you might have already guessed, this is our chatroom buddy Akino! She introduces herself and tells us her real name, Nokia Shiromine. She's a bit flighty, and ticked that we left her here waiting, but she's a decent sort.

A long conversation ensues, where Nokia tells us BlueBox is around, but ditched her to look for some sort of "ghost." The ghost is just a rumor, or so Nokia says. And what's BlueBox gonna do when he finds the ghost? And what's a ghost doing in cyberspace anyway, isn't that unscientific? She's not scared at all!

Yeah, that's the gist of it. I like Nokia, even if she is a chatterbox. Don't worry, she'll come into her own eventually.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) N8hFW1G

And then this fellow, presumably BlueBox, decides to be a troll and sneak up on her while acting like a ghost.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) XLrhI5i

He removes his hood and then proceeds to bicker with Nokia while we watch awkwardly. Realizing we're standing there, he introduces himself as Arata Sanada, who is of course also our chat buddy BlueBox. Nokia thinks he's a far cry from his "cool big bro" internet persona, as she finds him rather antisocial and egotistical in person.

These are our best friends. Ayup.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RJr7yby

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) It7t9up

With all three of us together, Nabitto-kun messages our digivices again to tell us we're getting our "present" now - what Nabitto-kun calls the "miraculous power to change the world." And then hacks us. The digivice informs us that a new program called "Digimon Capture" has been installed...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QIjOb60

Arata scans us and determines that, whatever this program is, it's too dangerous to try to remove it. We're just going to have to live with it, whatever it is.

...Arata, what are those screens? How are you doing that?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 5nFASKj

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) XmEtwvj

Suddenly we spy someone watching us, and Arata chases after in hot pursuit! By the way, that segment goes by REALLY fast. Getting that foot screenshot in one try took mad skills, yo.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) W6zqQ5j

Nokia wants to head back, but a firewall program is keeping us trapped. The only way to go is ahead... but Nokia is frightened out of her wits and decides to stay in the junk park.

Which means we can go exploring!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RhfiCqJ

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) MjmrCgq

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) OPzrcbE

The path is straightforward, but after a short walk we see a mysterious figure appear, apparently weakening us with its presence...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) D7OjSS9

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) BHBlOAW

Okay, this is turning into some Slender Man-level freaky st-

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) N6FtFaQ

PERSONAL SPACE

The ghostly figure reaches out to us, and we black out.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) OJsgNSQ

"(?????) were engraved..."

And then we wake up, as though nothing had happened. Oh, and we have a visitor.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) PDMzJWc

STAY OUTTA MY BUBBLE, GHOST BOY - oh no, wait, this dude (yes, that's a guy) just looks like the ghost. Amusingly, "You look like you've seen a ghost" is the first thing he says. Thankfully he doesn't think we're crazy when we tell him we just saw a weird cyberghost that could be his twin. He himself is not a ghost, though he does admit he can be somewhat elusive and difficult to find.

Somehow, he can tell we've obtained the Digimon Capture program, and informs us that we're a fledgling hacker now. However, he stresses that hackers aren't all bad - they all have their own goals and desires, and it's all up to their own choices. What kind of hacker will we be? Well, that's for the future... but for now, to commemorate the occasion, he gives us a very special gift.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) IXgz5Kd

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) LPy1ilf

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RZ2XSnq

Our first encounter with Digimon.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UlldF1A

Mystery boy offers us a choice between three Digimon as our first partner. Which do we choose? The cute animal Digimon, the Digimon with the flower on its head, or the Digimon made of gears? Cast your vote and-

Ahhh, who am I kidding? You saw the lame pun in the title, I'm taking Hagurumon and you can't stop me!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) BJVhNzg

It's nice to meet you, partner.
(when choosing a Digimon the game calls Hagurumon "the mechanical machine type." I'm not making that up.)

Next Time: When Tentacles Attack
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-21, 14:37

Why yes, I am on a roll with updates to start with. (I'm dreading the day when I run out of a buffer.)

Part 3: When Tentacles Attack

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) BJVhNzg

So, just to reiterate from last time, we got Hagurumon as our starter! If you're curious about the symbol on the screen there, it means he's an electric-element Virus Digimon. I'll go into more details about Digimon typings later, as it doesn't really mean much right now.

Well then, mystery boy, what's next? You don't happen to have a jerkbag grandson I can fight, do you?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) EPaYcLx

Ah. Well. That's... that's more than I was expecting.

Chrysalimon's a Champion-level Digimon, one evolutionary stage above the Rookie level that the three starters begin at. But surely if we team up he can't be that tough of a-

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 2yT1izt

...aaaaand he chases the starter Digimon out. Great.

Mystery boy suggests we just let them go and search for a replacement. They're just data after all, right?
(the reaction of anybody familiar with Digimon to that attitude)

Screw that, I want my Hagurumon! Mercury isn't willing to just leave someone in the lurch, either, so he completely disregards mystery boy's advice and charges after the Digimon. Atta boy, Mercury!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) XhlNQjp

When we catch up, Terriermon and Palmon have disappeared (having gotten away, I hope) and Hagurumon is left cornered by Chrysalimon.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 0oMaB1M

Don't suppose we picked up any weapons along the way, did we? A sharp stick, perhaps? ...maybe we can talk this out?

Thankfully, mystery boy decides to lend a hand, and reveals that he's a user of Digimon as well. Piqued by our willingness to put our own life on the line to help a Digimon out, he's decided to see what we do from here. So, what kind of Digimon are you rocking, mystery boy?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) JsaeNgs

Ahh, the overkill option. I can respect that.

Machinedramon is a Mega-level Digimon, two stages above Chrysalimon and the final stage of Digimon evolution. Go on, guess how this fight's gonna turn out.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) GjLzqdS

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VGJUN8I

Bolstered by our confidence and the sudden cavalry, Hagurumon's ready to throw down as well! And with that... it's time for a tutorial battle!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) B9UB7RH

Before anything else happens, our Digimon Capture skill automatically activates! Whenever you fight a Digimon, this ability triggers and scans a percentage of all opposing Digimon's data. Generally speaking, lower-level Digimon give more data in one go. When you reach 100%, something good can happen...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 00GZT33

Ahh, the battle screen. We'll be seeing this a lot in the chapters to come. It's an RPG, after all, best get used to it. At the right is the turn order, going from the top down. As you can see, our side will move before Chrysalimon ever does, meaning this battle is already won. Machinedramon is a guest and therefore acts on its own.

The lower-left contains our battle menu. "Attack" is a basic damaging skill that costs no MP, but isn't all that great. "Skill" brings up a menu of skills your Digimon has learned, the first of which is always their signature move. Ever watch the anime? That one attack you always associate with a Digimon is their signature move in this game. Each Digimon has one, and it changes with each different evolution.

"Item," "Guard," and "Escape" are self-explanatory. "Auto mode" has our Digimon fight on their own without our input, but where's the fun in that? "Change" allows us to switch active Digimon out with reserves, but all we've got is Hagurumon right now.

Anyway, here's how the battle goes. We attack and do a little damage. Machinedramon attacks and brings Chrysalimon to a sliver of health. Hagurumon attacks and clinches the win.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ZHvVj3E

Good job, little buddy, that's the first of many. We get enough experience for a whole level plus some change, 136 yen, and an item that temporarily boosts attack in battle.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 4hrsvG1

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) U3xzAec

After the battle, we celebrate! Already best friends. Mystery boy commends us, saying it's surprising for someone to bond so quickly with a Digimon without even using the Digimon Capture skill. Mercury takes the opportunity to ask him if he's seen Arata, and he points us in the right direction. It's beyond a lock, but a hacker with Digimon power can bypass that easily.

Oddly, the boy's dialogue suggests that he knows Arata from somewhere...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ZAoXgRj

With that, he takes his leave, but not before telling us his name. He's Yugo, and he's part of a group called "Zaxon." He suggests that, if we aim to become a reputable hacker, we should seek out that group.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) X2gI5Av

The game decides now is the time to explain how skills work. I already explained the signature moves and how they change with evolution, but there are also "inherited skills" learned by leveling up, and can be retained with evolution. A Digimon can remember up to 20 skills, and can have six of those equipped at a time (counting the signature move).

Yeah. Gamefreak should be taking notes right now.

Anyway, we need to find Arata and get out of here. ...wait, why do I feel like I'm forgetting something?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) SqthEyd

Whoops. That's right.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) PvUm0pU

Something orange, followed by something blue, runs by past Nokia's field of vision...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) C9Xdw3s

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QlohDGE

Oh crap, a dinosaur! And a... dog lizard unicorn... thing? Seriously, what the heck is he supposed to be?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) EmSSq6o

We hear Nokia scream, and run to her to find...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UE6JyzI

Dawww, they just wanna play.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Uys5LjN

Nokia is surprised to learn that Digimon are, in fact, cute as heck, and quickly makes friends with the two, who introduce themselves as Agumon and Gabumon.

Nokia, apparently not realizing these two are Digimon right away, comments on how strange of names Agumon and Gabumon are. Agumon retorts that to them, her name sounds weird.

Fun fact! Agumon and Gabumon are, in this game, voiced by Chika Sakamoto and Mayumi Yamaguchi. Who are they? Why, they're the voices of Agumon and Gabumon in the original Digimon Adventure anime!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) MtJjjQX

Sadly, they run off as soon as we show up. Thankfully Nokia is feeling a bit braver now, and with a Digimon of our own to keep us safe we can head off to find Arata and get the heck out of here.

...say, aren't you going to call Hagurumon cute, Nokia? HE'S CUTE TOO, DANG IT

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) DWopgkM

Now we're free to explore the Coulomb to our heart's content! Well, barring firewalls and all that business. Nokia's tagging along, and... hmm... there's something missing from this RPG right now, isn't there?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9uKJEgQ

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ZmP5tlT

Random encounters! We have two of the In-Training level Koromon, and also Pabumon and Poyomon, who are Baby-level. Also here, but not pictured, is the Baby-level Botamon.

Baby is the lowest level of Digimon evolution, with In-Training being the level between that and Rookie. Champion is next, then Ultimate (a level we haven't seen yet) followed by Mega (what Machinedramon is). In Japanese, these levels are Baby, Baby II, Child, Adult, Perfect, and Ultimate.

Why is it "Perfect" when there's a stage after? Never figured that one out. In any case, this is what we'll be facing in this stage of the game, and there's not too much to worry about. Koromon can do a little damage, but between the grinding we get in and the healing items that drop plentifully, we have a very small chance of facing real danger. Plus, leveling up fully restores health and MP. We're also getting plentiful scan data from these Digimon, which will be useful later.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) U8z7r8d

Like so. "But wait," I hear you ask, "why does Pabumon have 120% data?" Well, that's because the game lets you get up to 200% data. 100% is the minimum you need (what for? You'll see), but any data over gets you a little bonus. It's worth it to grind a little here and in an upcoming area to get a lot of scan data. I recommend getting around 120-150% of any Digimon you can, though don't sweat it too much. If you can get 200%, then great.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) K43dnl8

Another RPG staple - treasure chests! They're denoted by those squares on the minimap. It's well worth your time to explore and find them all. These just have some minor HP/MP restoring items, but every little bit counts.

I say this ending the dungeon with like, 25 healing items.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) KCenPo2

He won't let us pass. Rude. We'll just have to find another way...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 1HnHk41

As we pass along the other route, Nokia begins having a strange sense of deja vu. For some reason, she feels like she's been here before - and met Mercury and Arata before too. Not just in the chatroom, but a long time ago.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Gi2Un31

A vision flashes for both of us. Five children, some of whom look awfully familiar...
they aren't wearing masks, are they? If this turns into Persona 2 I'm leaving

Nokia has no idea if we're being hacked again or what, but might as well not dwell on that vision. Gotta go find Arata before anything else.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Lh6cUNe

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VJyDfUi

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) KvmDkcG

Arata is at the end of the path, checking out what seems to be an abandoned access point. It's basically like one of the warp pads all over EDEN, just deactivated at the moment. We reunite with him, and now we can all go home and live happily ev-

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ZWVWFBC

Aw, crapbaskets.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9yAiIbc

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) OFyNyTN
(you thought the title was about Chrysalimon, didn't you? Surprise!)

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Lu6wKnf

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) MwCgxL0

That's no Digimon. Arata comments that he heard about EDEN possessing some kind of creature that ate data, which is... not good. Arata leaves it to us to hold the line while he hacks the system to get us out of here. Well, I'm sure in the meantime we can get through this crisis without being tempted to repeat any tired internet jokes like the low-hanging fruit they are!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) AgdNH2A

...good night, everybody!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) KX4yog9

Thankfully, before anyone can make a crude joke about knowing where this is going, Agumon and Gabumon jump in to defend Nokia from the... whatever it is.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QBpqCLx

We're helping too! Amusingly, the female player character's "ready for battle" look here is a sassy hands-on-hips pose. Now, time for a boss fight!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9VCD5NS

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) KqGZxe9

So it's gonna be that kind of a boss fight, huh? Yeah, even though Agumon (and Gabumon, though I wasn't quick enough to cap it) fire off their signature moves, neither they nor Hagurumon can deal any damage to the strange monster. Even worse, it takes a turn to raise its attack, then attacks Hagurumon to do damage and drain health!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VtWvVBc

Agumon and Gabumon despair over being unable to protect Nokia. Thankfully, Arata manages to fix the access point in time, and he and Nokia escape! We'd better join them.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) EBhhCf8

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) RTgxcyT

Everything fades to black, and a voice sounds out: "Find us..."

Digivice Alert: CAUTION An unexpected error has occurred during the logout process of user: Mercury Aiba

Unable to continue the logout process...

Reinitiating the logout process...

You have successfully logged out. We await your next login. EDEN will connect the world while weaving the future for this human network operated by Kamishiro Enterprises.

Next Time: Best. Kidnapping. Ever.

Last edited by Mercury45 on 2015-05-05, 11:24; edited 1 time in total
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2015-04-21, 18:51

Woaaaaah! So much happened in this update!

I see, so the battle mechanics are more or less the same as the Digimon World games (what with scanning and skill inheritance... i wonder if Digicrests, Digieggs, and Fusions are in this game? I'm willing to bet that they are...)

Gotta be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Hagurumon... something about its face is kinda creepy... I would've gone with Terriermon, myself. I see they went with the Pokemon direction and gave you a choice between three digis of different types, although instead of fire/water/grass it's vaccine/data/virus. I can dig it.

It seems like unbeatable bosses at the start are kind of a hallmark of Digimon games, there was one in Dawn/Dusk too. Also, that Eater thing is really freakin cool looking, kinda like a glitch mollusc.
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-21, 20:09

Yeah, this game has a lot going on from the start. I like how it keeps a pretty fast pace early on - lots of characters and concepts introduced and explained quickly.

Yup, the mechanics are fairly similar to the DS games - like I said, this is very much a spiritual successor to them! Although you could get up 999% scan data in those games... that always seemed a tad excessive, though. As for the evolution methods... well, we'll see those soon enough! It'll only be an update or two before we start getting new Digimon and the like.

I actually really like Hagurumon and machine Digimon, ahaha. I figured most people would start with Palmon or Terriermon anyway, and I really like his potential final forms... plus, it's actually quite easy to get all three starters once you can obtain more Digimon! We've run into their baby forms already (Punimon for Terriermon, while Palmon and Hagurumon share Pabumon). And yup, they went for the classic vaccine/data/virus triangle. There's actually elemental triangles in the game, which I'll explain at some later point once we start seeing more Digimon with them.

And actually, you totally could beat the first boss in Dawn/Dusk. I've played those games at list six times each so I'm pretty familiar with them, ha.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-22, 01:27

Out of curiosity, how are you managing to translate that stuff in Google Translate? I mean, wouldn't you have to be able to type in the kanji for them?

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-22, 01:41

Well, for the few updates so far, I've actually been referencing a series of videos on Youtube that have translated into English. I can link them if you're curious, and most of the direct quotes I've used so far have come from those.

Once I get ahead of that point (as there's only three videos and we're almost caught up), there's actually a Google Translate function for phones that allows you to snap a photo of text and it'll scan and translate it for you! I'll be using that soon enough... hopefully I can interpret it accurately enough. We'll see once we get there.

In fact I'm actually getting quite excited to get to that part whereas I was previously dreading it,  in part because I'm kind of itching to play the game again. I did a little extra playing tonight to grab some screencaps and mess around with my teammates - spoilers, we'll be getting more Digimon soon! - but I'll talk about that when we actually reach that point, haha.

Next update might be later tonight or sometime early tomorrow, depending on how much I do tonight.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-22, 03:11

Part 4: Best. Kidnapping. Ever.

So, just to reiterate what happened over the course of the last couple updates. We entered a manmade digital world, got hacked, got creeped on by a ghost, met the ghost's living twin who gave us a Digimon, fought a bizarre tentacle monster, and very nearly didn't make it back.

But hey, everything should be fine now, right?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 1UDLdsn

WRONG. THIS IS A JRPG.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) S9ebEnq

The appearance of a strange half-there humanoid made out of flowing data in a busy intersection is, unsurprisingly, causing a commotion. Hey, I'm kinda ghosty now too!

While we look our new self over, a voice rings out over the commotion. A voice that sounds like an underpaid, overworked public servant.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) TkLOdYq

Yup, it's a policewoman. Or, as she insists under threat of arrest for anyone who gets it wrong, a detective. She threatens to arrest people a lot. That's her thing, I guess.

In any case, the lady cop/detective finds us so gross she decides to arrest us immediately.
wow, that's the first time that's happened before I even talk to the girl ba-dum tssshh

But wait, what's that sound? Has a savior arrived?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) PNUtiP6

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) PvGKowd

IT IS A SWEET AS BALLS RIDE

But what's inside the car, dear reader, is even better.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) P2fwryO

"That's an interesting look you have... it's quite fascinating."

I mean, look at those beautiful seats! Those are so comfortable I could sit in that car for days. Is that Italian leather? ...what? Oh, right, the pretty blonde lady.

She tells us to get in, and while we have no idea if we can trust her I'm totally gonna take the nice woman offering me a ride in her rad car over the scary cop threatening to arrest everyone every six seconds. In any case, if I'm being kidnapped right now this is the best kidnapping ever.

We hop in and the car speeds off. Naturally, the cop shouts after threatening to arrest our getaway driver. Man, we got cops chasing us and our own getaway driver. And this is just our first day as a hacker!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) BoUQylE

As we drive to somewhere we can only guess at, the mystery beauty tries to figure out what's going on with us. Considering the state we're in, she is remarkably chill. She ascertains that we're human and able to understand her and communicate in return, and learns that we, naturally, have no idea what the heck has happened to us. She tells us we're welcome to ask her anything about the situation and she'll answer as best we can.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UFmGbun

We have three options to choose from. We have to go through them all to proceed, so let's just go through them one by one.

First: Where is this?
Thankfully that's a pretty straightforward question. The mystery beauty tells us we're in Shinjuku, which is a real-life ward, or district, of Tokyo. Shinjuku has a bit of history with Digimon already, being the primary real-world locale of Digimon Tamers. You may recognize this building.

She also explains that her coming upon us was a genuine coincidence - she was on some work-related business and happened to spot what was going on. We're headed to her office where we can tell her the whole story.

It's a heck of a coincidence, but she seems trustworthy and we need all the help we can get right now.

Second: What happened to my body?
Well, there's nothing concrete, but as far as she can guess our body looks like we had jumped back into the real world while still in the form of a digital avatar.

Does that mean I'm just a bunch of data and my real body is still elsewhere? Who can say...?

Third: Are my friends nearby?
The mysterious beauty confirms that we were alone in the intersection where she found us. She asks if they could be in the same state we're in. Well, that's unlikely since Mercury is the only one who got grabbed by the monster, while Nokia and Arata escaped unscathed.

In that case, we should be most concerned about taking care of ourselves right now. There's one other question that we can ask after the first three:

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 4zGrrsG

Fourth: Who are you?

Our rescuer apologizes for not introducing herself sooner, having been caught up in fascination with the whole "glowing blue data body" thing. She gives us her name, Kyoko Kuremi, and tells us she's a detective.

Quick Japanese lesson! No, that's not the same kind of detective as the short-tempered cop was demanding to be called. The word she used there was keiji, as in the police rank detective. The word Kyoko uses here is tantei, as in a private eye. The kind you might call... hard-boiled.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Latest?cb=20130510142137

Yeah, like that. I dunno why, he always shows up when I say that. See, watch. "Hard-boiled."

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) LW91HKr
get out of here Kamen Rider Skull this isn't even the right franchise

In any case, we leave the rest for when we reach Kyoko's detective agency. It's located in Nakano Broadway, yet another real-world location.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) IlCXzHu

And as we lead into the agency, we get a trophy! That's for reaching Chapter 1.

That's right. Everything up until now was the prologue. You knew what you were getting into! I told you it was a JRPG!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) NUA6FI7

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Ff6IUGE

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) BKM8hAO

(sign reads "From Beginning to End")

It's a mess, but of the welcoming, "this is a place where someone lives and works" variety. Kyoko gets the entirety of our tale from us, and confirms what already seemed to be the case: the body we're in right now is just our consciousness in a digital avatar, somehow manifested in the real world. Our body is... well, wherever we left it, I assume. That, or our physical body was somehow transferred to Shinjuku and corrupted into this state.

Don't think too hard about it, it'll probably make sense later.

Overwhelmed by Kyoko's understanding and generosity, Mercury asks just why she's helping us. Kyoko proudly states that the Kuremi Detective Agency has a proven track record of solving cybercrimes and strange phenomenon, so this the best possible place for us to get help, right?

Even better, she's taking our case pro bono. Getting to see something as fascinating as what's happening to us is reward enough.

(Kyoko's kind of my favorite character.)

There is, of course, the matter of getting us back to normal. Kyoko's concerned about what'd happen if we went outside, and she's convinced that we're currently a digital form bound by the physical laws of the real world - but our body could be unstable.

Fortunately, this is a simple obstacle to overcome - all we need is to get the right data and we can stabilize our form and regain our appearance. It'd be just like our EDEN avatar.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VOFAQ4H

Kyoko isn't so sure we'll be able to login, but Mercury takes this moment to check out the big-screen TV. A voice calls out... telling us to jump in the TV.

Wait a minute, I didn't swap game cards with Persona 4, did I?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) JuOMX6t

Ah, nope. If I don't make it back back Rise is best giiiiiiiiirlllllll

Next Time: More Digimon, More Tutorials
(No, seriously. It's gonna be a text-heavy chapter.)

Last edited by Mercury45 on 2015-05-05, 11:25; edited 1 time in total
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-22, 23:28

Part 5: More Digimon, More Tutorials

Last time, we fell back into the real world with our body less-than-intact, only to get picked up by a beautiful detective and brought back to her agency, where we heard a disembodied voice tell us to jump into the TV. Which we then did.

This game lets me type great sentences, let me tell you.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ES5HuoK

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 3QCODDK

Inside the television is this trippy-looking place. Somehow we managed to enter the network that the TV is connected to! Mercury decides that the only thing to do is keep pressing forward.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) AZDW60Y

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) NQfZJlm

There's Digimon here, too. I maaaay have been mistaken when I said Botamon was present in the last area, but in any case it's here now. We can also run into the In-Training level Bukamon, an entirely new species to us at this point.

I take the opportunity to do a little grinding for experience, money, and data. After I'm satisfied with what I've done, I realize I need to show off what the Digimon stat screen looks like.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) B7JhOrR

So, here's Hagurumon, having freshly reached level 10. The top left, that part that says Lv. 10 and then some stuff in parentheses, says that his current level is 10 and his maximum level is 15. Each Digimon has a maximum level, but it'll go up with evolution and degeneration. The absolute max is Level 99.

Going down the right (ignore the stuff in the bottom left for now), we have HP and SP, which are pretty self-explanatory. Hagurumon's got pretty good HP. The next few stats, going down, are Attack, Defense, Intelligence, and Speed. From what I understand, Intelligence governs both magical attack and defense, not unlike the Special stat in first-generation Pokemon games, but I'm not entirely sure what attacks are divided between "physical" and "magical" yet.

The stat with a zero is "potential" or "talent." No, the game isn't insulting our little buddy, that's another stat that will increase with repeated evolution and degeneration. It has no battle effect, but some evolutions require this stat to be at a certain number. The stat with a value of 28% is friendship. Again, some evolutions have requirements based on this stat. Friendship seems to go up about 1% per battle, but only if the Digimon participated. The stat to the right of friendship is what type of battler the Digimon is. In this case, Hagurumon is a defensive type.

The bar underneath is his experience bar, as you may have guessed. Below that is his equipment list - we don't have any right now, so don't worry about it. Also, I believe all those "+0"s next to stats would change if we had the right equipment, and would show the value added to the base. I will try to figure this out as we go along.

As you can see, right now Hagurumon is a very tanky Digimon, and surprisingly his speed is better than his attack or intelligence. These humble numbers will, in time, get quite large.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) R4PF4hr

What d'you know, in the time it took me to explain all that Mercury got to the end of the area. Fantastic!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) R34WNUx

At the end of the digital tunnel is... EDEN? Yup, not too surprising considering how they're trying to spread their network everywhere. This is an unfamiliar area, one we haven't visited before - but it's a public place, not dangerous like the Coulomb.

Also, that flashing point of light? It's how we got in here. It disappears, meaning we have to find another way out. Thankfully there's a warp pad nearby. You can talk to the NPCs hanging around this area (it's a small place), but they say nothing useful besides occasionally commenting on your appearance.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) NP7SQrO

We get a call from Kyoko on our digivice. She hypothesizes that, since we're made of data, we now have the ability to travel through network lines. She dubs our new power Connect Jump, and explains that, as long as we're near a terminal, we'll be able to jump into cyberspace at any time. Even better, it makes it easier for us to track down the data we need to get some avatar data!

Kyoko directs us back to the Coulomb, and we take the warp pad out. As we leave, though, we hear that unknown voice beckoning us again...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) DlCJIFt

...and end up somewhere magical. Welcome to the Digilab.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) SVToCdf

The... attendant, for lack of a better word, introduces herself as Mirei Mikagura. She describes this place as being a location that occasionally intersects with the digital world - a paradise for Digimon.

While she has a knack for being ambiguous, Mirei tells us that we somehow "called out to her" when we obtained the power that enabled us to connect with Digimon. As such, she's giving us free rein in this place so we can learn about and nurture our Digimon, and our own abilities.

Mirei isn't actually native to this game! She debuted in the previous game, the PSP's Digimon World Re:Digitize and its 3DS port, subtitled Decode. She comes from an entirely different human and digital world to the one in this game, but don't dwell on that for now.

So! Let's get cracking with the Digilab. If Kyoko's office is our home base for our real-world operations, then this is our home away from home in the digiworld. We'll be spending a lot of time here - good thing it's so useful.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Ep2Gn5q

The game provides a list of Digilab functions. Going down the list:

• Digi-Bank: Organize party and evolve or degenerate.
  • Digi-Farm: A place where Digimon can feed and train intensely.
  • Mirror Dungeon: Replay completed dungeons.
  • Shop: Purchase items for the Digi-Farm.
  • Coliseum: Network play.
  • Medical Machine: Restore party Digimon HP and SP.

Let's start at the top of the list - which is also the most important function for us, especially right now. That little blurb forgot to mention one other thing the Digi-Bank computer does: converting new Digimon. You can access it via the computer directly to Mirei's left (her left, so our right).

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Smr12Ka

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) XPp6882

The game basically recaps our Digimon Capture skill. Face Digimon, get scan data. If you get 100%, you can convert that data into a Digimon of your own. Data over 100% gets small stat bonuses - nothing gamebreaking, but a nice early start for your new partner.

I got a lot of scan data, so get ready to see a whole bunch of new partners in a little bit...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 8vCeYuQ

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) V9nuP42

The game also explains how we can use this computer to evolve Digimon, turning them into a higher form, or degenerate them into a lower form. You can only do so one level at a time, and you must meet the prerequisite stat requirements. Also, unlike the DS Digimon Story games, you must do this here. No evolving mid-dungeon for you - though dungeons will contain terminals that let us warp back to the Digi-Lab easily!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 5yexVE8

To get an idea of just how many possibilities there are, take a look at Hagurumon's current evolutionary data. He can potentially evolve into five Champions, and each of them into more Digimon from there. There's a total of 240 Digimon in the game. Since we haven't seen any of the other Digimon here, their images on the chart are blacked out. Once we see them, either by evolving them or meeting them in battle (even if they're on our side), we'll be able to see their image properly. The gray NG means they can't turn into that form, and will be replaced with a red OK when turning into that form is possible.

Hagurumon's actually pretty close to evolving, but I hold off for now. We'll get there in due time.

What's that 13/20 in the top right, you ask? Oh, it has something to do with our new friends...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) FfQdJqV

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) G4Zqx0h

...because I scanned a lot of Digimon. Meet Botamon, the first of many additions to our burgeoning army.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) G3HOuM2

The game tells us some more rules about Digimon. We can have up to eleven in our party at one time, but don't get too excited. There's another limitation. More on that in a second.

There's also the Digi-Bank proper, where freshly scanned Digimon are placed. You can keep them there, or move them to a farm island, which is the Digi-Farm mentioned earlier. We'll get a few farm islands, but for now we have one - and ten Digimon are able to stay on one island.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) U7qaPR8

So here's that other limitation I just mentioned. Each Digimon takes up a certain amount of memory in our digivice. You can only have Digimon on your team whose combined memory is equal to or less than your current maximum memory. Naturally, highly-evolved Digimon take up more memory.

Right now, our limit is 20. Yes, that's very little, but we can also find memory expansion items that boost our memory. We will be wanting every one of those we can find.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Drd605V

Here's the mirror dungeon portal. It lets you head back to previously-completed dungeons to get more experience, money, and scan data, and also pick up items you may have missed. Right now we can go back to the network line that we jumped into from Kyoko's TV, but we'll just end up back in the lab if we try to exit.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) K93wRvD

The Coliseum portal, for local or online battling. We won't be using this, most likely.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UtZvfuX

The medical machine heals your party completely for a nominal fee.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Qpi0evH

A commemorative picture! After I finish all I can do in here at the moment, I decide to show my then-current team - er, after a little bit of grinding. The level 5 Koromon was the Botamon I just showed you, and Tanemon evolved from a Pabumon I scanned. So... let's grind some more!

Oh right, I should explain the element mechanics while we do this. Basically, there are eight Digimon elements. Fire, Water, and Grass form a type triangle, as do Earth, Electric, and Wind. Light and Dark oppose each other. There's also a null-type with no strengths or weaknesses.

Digimon also have general families, consisting of Virus, Data, and Vaccine. Virus beats Data beats Vaccine beats Virus. If this is all a bit much to remember on top of the other exposition, just check out this handy infographic.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 7yHx21w

Here's the combo mechanic, something I really don't understand. Sometimes your Digimon will work together like this to...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) MHpg2sJ

...do a more-damaging attack, which... kinda overkill right now. I don't know how this functions or triggers, aside from it having to do something with the "combo" meter shown on the turn lineup. Hopefully I can figure this out.
also this is the only reference to Xros Wars in the game which makes me sad

OK, more grinding! Still stuff to do before I finish this gargantuan update!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ThpBV01

Guilmon evolves from our higher-level Koromon, who was our first scan Botamon...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) KTlM8C2

Tanemon evolves into Renamon...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Ee9nzAV

Punimon evolves into Tsunomon, then Goblimon...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) GXGLrDF

Our second Koromon evolves into ToyAgumon...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) F2SSULz

Bukamon becomes... well, actually, the first one I scanned became Gomamon but I forgot a picture. This is my second Bukamon, who is now Otamamon!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) T7bcDLX

And last but definitely not least, we scan another Punimon, who evolves into Nyaromon and then Salamon.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ZMo8CGw

Unfortunately, the game decided to spring one last mechanic on me while I did the last of that grinding. This is, as you may guess from the background, an instant messenger client. We'll receive messages from our Digimon on the farm and human characters we interact with. Sometimes, you'll even have a choice of what reply to send.

This is the first bit of dialogue I translated with the Google Translate phone app. From here on out translations may get a bit shaky, so... bear with me here.

If I understand this correctly, Gomamon was messing about with the trees on the Digi-Farm when something big fell off one, which he devoured. Mercury makes a joke about Gomamon being so hungry he could eat a human, then suddenly wonders if he should be worried...

With that... strangely dark note, this ends the update. And, believe it or not, my picture buffer - which means we're caught up, which also means... it's party voting time!

So, here's how it'll work. At the end of each update, I'll list (in a spoiler) the current roster and their typings, my party memory, and how much memory they take. Sometimes I'll make some decisions about someone having to go or stay behind, but otherwise I'll be open to input. My only other request is that you let everybody take a turn in the spotlight. There's plenty of teammates I still haven't obtained yet, too!

Current Roster Information!:

Next Time: Body Got Back

Last edited by Mercury45 on 2015-04-26, 13:03; edited 1 time in total
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2015-04-23, 00:52

Cool, more updates! More digis! I'm really interested in how the main character has a digital body in the real world... hopefully he gets back to normal soon, that looks uncomfortable! Kyoko is a really cool character, I hope she gets to do some badass things!

Also...

Mercury45 wrote:Kyoko isn't so sure we'll be able to login, but Mercury takes this moment to check out the big-screen TV. A voice calls out... telling us to jump in the TV.

Wait a minute, I didn't swap game cards with Persona 4, did I?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) JuOMX6t

Ah, nope. If I don't make it back back Rise is best giiiiiiiiirlllllll

I laughed a lot xD ...But you're wrong, Naoto is #1 waifu.

As for the poll, I suggest: Hagurumon, Guilmon, Gomamon, and Salamon.
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-23, 12:38

I like Guilmon, Toyagumon, Otamamon, and Renamon. Also as far as long term parties go I only ever really watched the first series of the show (although I played some games that had later ones like Guilmon in them, so I love Guilmon) but if you're able to get Andromon, Etemon (or Metaletemon is even better), or Leomon I'd be the happiest guy in the world. By the way, you're very good at this and it's a lot of fun so far, keep it up!

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-23, 12:48

Involuntary Twitch wrote:But you're wrong, Naoto is #1 waifu.
...I support Kanji x Naoto too hard to do romance route with Naoto, hahaha.
also may or may not have a weakness for Rise's hairstyle whoops

theredwolf wrote:if you're able to get Andromon, Etemon (or Metaletemon is even better), or Leomon I'd be the happiest guy in the world.  By the way, you're very good at this and it's a lot of fun so far, keep it up!

Well, I have my whole team planned out all the way to their final stages, so you'll just have to wait and see what I use! But hopefully I will at least show every Digimon in the game at some point - and all of those are in the game so you might just get to see them! Plus if I get enough Digi-Farm space I can just put in some extra guys to demonstrate what all that stuff is like.

And thank you! I'm enjoying the run a lot, so it's uplifting to see a positive response to all this.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-23, 13:13

Oh, if you already have your team planned out then why are you letting us vote on what we want included at the moment?

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-23, 15:18

Because I'm not going to be able to include all my Digimon all the time (due to the memory limit), so I can at least provide a little interactivity in letting people express who they'd like to see out of that group.

I'm hoping by the end I can get everyone on the team at once, but we'll see how that turns out.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by theredwolf 2015-04-23, 15:39

Fair enough.

theredwolf
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-24, 02:43

Yes, sorry for not making it clearer before. I went back and edited the first post to clarify what I meant. I promise I'll try to show all the Digimon I can, though!

(For what it's worth I'm a big MetalEtemon fan - he's always great in these games, and I very nearly used him again before I decided I needed to break out of my comfort zone!)
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-04-26, 19:47

Well, I've had quite a day. Intended to put this up sooner - but on the other hand, while I was away I managed to play some more and get enough for another update, huzzah.

Also, I'm thinking of changing the voting thing again. I know, I should have planned this out better. But since I'm trying to raise my Digimon evenly, I'm thinking of limiting votes to major boss battles. I have more-or-less an idea of when they're going to be and what they are, so I may just ask for opinions on who should be my frontliners when I take on a boss, so you guys can still have a say while I can still raise the Digimon I need to.

So yeah, thoughts on that? It might make things easier for all of us in the long run. And speaking of runs, it's the time for the next chapter in this one.

Part 6: Body Got Back

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QZxswpY

Conveniently, the game reminds us just as we're about to leave that we need to actually show everything off... or more accurately, that I haven't actually visited the farm island yet. Whoops.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VH1x0sF

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) TqmO2Uc

I explained the purpose of a farm island in the last update, so I won't reiterate here. But boy, does it look nifty or what?

Total honesty, after I finish this game I might do one of the DS Digimon Story games just to compare how far this has come. It tickles me to see this function return.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UTrrOUj

Eventually we'll be able to put up to five items on an island that increase or alter the results of training there.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) GuuRwsU

The options are Train, Develop, and something else. Train is what it sounds like - each of your Digimon gets to exercise for a little while, at an intensity that you choose from one of three levels, and they get stat boosts decided by which Digimon is the "leader" of the island. Remember how I said Hagurumon was a defensive-type battler? If I trained with him in the lead, our guys would see bigger defense boosts. The more intense the training, the bigger the boosts, but also bigger the hit to friendship. Don't overtrain your Digimon without taking them along for adventures.

The second option, Develop, has your Digimon... I don't know, actually. But hey, you get free items and stuff out of it. You can even get rare equipment, some of which I'll be gunning for at some point because a certain thing gets you tons of experience.

The third option I have entirely forgotten and will edit in something later as though this never happened.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) TqmO2Uc

The first option takes you to the train/develop menu, the third is setting up farm goods, and the second... is feeding your Digimon.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) IqQObmk

THROW MEAT RIGHT AT THEIR FACES

Eventually, I believe we will be able to get different kinds of food that boost different stats when fed to a Digimon. This meat raises Friendship.

Sometimes Digimon don't pay enough attention and the food just bounces right off their faces. It's a waste of food but it's hilarious.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9elAdyj

You will occasionally receive IM updates from Mirei about things going on at the farm - if a Digimon has hit max level, for example, or if development has yielded an item of some kind. I prefer this to the DS games where a message would come in and interrupt the flow of the game. Much more convenient.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) STpS63k

I didn't get a pic of him last time, but here's Gomamon! As you can see, he's pretty well-rounded. His evo line won't be what you expect, but I promise there will big rewards (even if they come in small packages).

Now that we've examined all the functions of the lab, we can finally head out!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) ENq7I6Y

...after Mirei talks some more. As always, she talks about how special Digimon are, and how important it is that we understand them. Oh, and she also has a gift for us.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) YvIziM3

With this intense glow emanating from our body, we may now begin a techno rave any time at any place. Glowsticks not included.

...okay, not really.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) WrZ0OGB

No, we have obtained hacking powers! Mirei explains that we have been granted the power to affect digital space through the power of the Digimon we bring with us. If our Digimon are the right types and-

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 4gBoeSx

Stop trying to get the last word, game! As I was saying, our hacking powers are quite varied, but depend on the types and levels of Digimon in our party. This is another reason I'm reconsidering how voting works - I will need these powers throughout the game, and I'd like to avoid backtracking to grab a Digimon just to solve a puzzle when I can just have the right one on hand.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) SRndTG7

Mirei gives us the go-ahead to leave, and graciously sends us directly to the Coulomb. We were going there to get data for our body, remember? Unfortunately, despite her doing nothing the rest of the time she won't be our personal taxi service, and we have to use various terminals to move around from here on out.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) U7jtKrG

Get used to seeing these, because these are our bridge between worlds. A yellow terminal is in the real world and lets us access the EDEN network, while those blue ones are in the digital world and allow us to access the lab.

Much like a heal point at the end of a long dungeon, you will learn to love the sight of that floating blue thing.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) MAwpglX

The gang's all here! Based on suggestions I put together a team from some of those that got votes. Renamon, Guilmon, and Gomamon make a solid team, while Hagurumon's sitting on the bench in case. (We won't need him. This part is easy.)

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) HKibly3

Square button brings up the hacking menu, incidentally. And good thing, too, because...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) TXnrXE5

Remember how this blocked the way out for Nokia and me way back in the first update or so? It's still here, but now we have the power to get past it.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) YmF7qhG

This skill requires a Rookie Digimon, of which we have several.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Gq92yos

Cracking the program and bringing the firewall down is followed by a call from Kyoko, who had been trying unsuccessfully to contact us before this point. Surprisingly, she already seems to know who Mirei is, though she downplays this surprise by calling the purple-haired woman "just an acquaintance." Diverting the topic back to our purpose for being here, she's surprised to learn that we already have leet hacking skillz, and reminds us that we need to scout the area to find avatar data.

Also, she has an aside here that made no sense to me. Something about "48 specters," which after a little research is apparently the first sight of a character trait of hers - that she loves quoting proverbs. Since most of these are Japanese proverbs that make no sense I'll avoid transcribing them. In any case, she wishes us luck and says she looks forward to seeing our proper body.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QK8BawE

Although I've gotten a couple of these already, it's another explanation for the instant messenger, which is apparently called "Digirain." I'm not sure I get the pun here.

We can get friendship boosts from giving our Digimon the right answers, but messages to other people don't affect anything so we can do whatever dialogue choice we like.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) EV5VL1p

The first piece of avatar data! It's not as easy as it looks - Digimon will jump you whenever you try to grab one. This might be a tad difficult if you only have your starter, but with three Rookies it's a snap.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Wwsn1w7

The game decides now is the best time to explain the "Digimon picture book," which is a compendium of Digimon. The faded image is one that we've seen but haven't had. A clear image is a Digimon we have possessed at some point.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) WNIkjmz

The enemy who attacked here is a pair of nonthreatening Koromon. Gomamon shows them the power of fish.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 4r9KZPI

The next piece of data is the hardest... by process of elimination. Three Rookies would be a challenge had I brought Hagurumon alone. Biyomon is a Wind/Vaccine Digimon, Gotsumon is Earth/Data, and Syakomon is Water/Virus.

It's a rounded party, but fortunately I have brought the same to bear. I'm not going to post the images, but the game takes a minute to explain the type and attribute effectiveness at this time, so consider this a tutorial as to why a balanced party is a good thing.

Anyway, we win because my Digimon are awesome, so moving on.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) TITP8mo

I'll try to show off signature moves when possible. Renamon's should be familiar to viewers of Tamers.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) EQYDXxu

Oh no, a surprise attack! Whatever shall I do against these two weak Baby Digimon?
win brutally

You can also get initiative. Basic RPG stuff.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) AynzQkF

Guilmon shows off his special move. I guess there's already enough fire breath attacks, so his is the Earth-elemental Rock Breaker. It gives him a little bit of versatility early on, though, so I can't complain.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) CkwPHnY

Guilmon's victory pose. I'll show off some of the good ones of these, too. He's so adorable.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) JZNQfXw

Nothing to see here, just a standard level-up screen. Hagurumon can totally evolve now Stop undermining my cleverness, small sarcastic text. never

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QcnPpnh

The enemy that jumps us here is... a single Poyomon. I don't know why either.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 9ivGj3B

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) MLdebmL

The game explains status effects in the first screen. Poyomon does something to one of our team but I defeat it in the next move so it never comes into play. The other screen describes buffs and debuffs.

There's actually one status effect in this game that's really funny, and I hope to show it off at some point.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) FSAtHAO

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) VzBQsGh

In this chest we find the dungeon-escape item. I could use it once we're done here, but I'll be saving it for a rainy day. The kind of rainy day where we're about to die and I need to get out.

Or the kind where I'm just feeling lazy. It's a tossup.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) DrK9KsZ

The final piece of avatar data is right here, where we made our harrowing escape and just barely avoided getting eaten by that monster. Our enemy this time is a Tsunomon and Poyomon.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) SNn0YxL

Good news, everyone! I figured out how this works!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) UBBKYF7

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) Nb1blme

First of all, a combo can only be performed by two Digimon who are in adjacent zones. Presumably a three-mon combo can only be started by the one in the middle. There are four types of combo. "Chain Attack" has the participants fire off their signature moves at an enemy. "Damage Up" has the participants lend a hand to boost the initiating Digimon's attack (and the participants keep their turn after). "Heal Up" increases the effectiveness of healing moves. "Skill Up" is a little unclear, but I believe it increases the power of buffs and debuffs somehow.

Repeated attacks (not quite sure what that means yet, this is just what I translated) raise the gauge on the turn order. A more filled gauge increases the odds of a Xros Combo activating. Turns out friendship also increases the odds of a combo triggering, which means it's worth it to keep building those bonds!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) YpdaRmE

Well, we have four pieces of avatar data, so it's time to say goodbye to our glowy blue body...

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) BhQjZPe

...and welcome back our original form.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) QkCVr8u

Kyoko calls again (how does she time that so well?) and congratulates us, asking us to come back to the office. But, uh... how do we get back? It's a good question, and Kyoko theorizes that, since our body is now like an avatar, all we have to do is log out from the place we entered the Coulomb, and we'll be able to return to the real world where we entered from.

She then jokes that if it doesn't work, she'll do her best to gather up whatever bits of data are left scattered around. Oh, Kyoko.

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) LK3oOzm

Come to think, this is the first time our Digimon, aside from Hagurumon, have seen what Mercury really looks like. I wonder if it's jarring?

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) NZO5Vha

On the way out, I pop by the lab again and swap Hagurumon for Salamon. I start rotating my team a bit from this point on. Mirei doesn't say anything of import in the lab, so let's head on out!

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) OpPyRX0

Let's Play Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! (screenshot LP) 5OJZG06

The logout works successfully, and we reappear in Kyoko's office!

So, with another update out of the way, and another bit of a buffer built up, there won't be any voting this time since I'm reconsidering that business. Remember, voting will still be a thing for boss battles! Also, my Digimon haven't evolved or degenerated at all, so there's that too.

Next Time: The Hospital is the Best Place to Pick Up Chicks
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next