Possible Trainer Class?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible Trainer Class?

Post by Pick on 2015-04-15, 01:44

With all the hype going around about the pokemon games in the Uranium world, have you guys thought of adding Cosplayers into the game masquerading as people from the people from the games (such as team rocket, pokemon champions, red, ect)?

I think it would be a pretty funny feature to the game if it isn't in there already. XD
Pick
Barewl
Barewl

View user profile http://archaven.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible Trainer Class?

Post by Involuntary Twitch on 2015-04-15, 14:53

Haha, I like that idea actually! I'm thinking of adding several new trainer classes to the game. So far we have Actors and Ninja, but I'm planning to add more including Pirates, Divers, Hazmat technicians and more. I think it really adds to the atmosphere.

Involuntary Twitch
Admin

View user profile http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 on 2015-04-15, 14:53

That'd be an interesting Trainer class to see. Maybe they try emulating these famous characters' teams but they don't get the Pokemon quite right...

But then again Uranium is supposed to be fairly disconnected from the other regions, and there's very few canon Pokemon in the game, so I'm not sure how feasible of an idea that would be. It's certainly a cool concept!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Latest Update: The Grindy Update (posted 5/20)
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JDogindy on 2015-05-09, 13:21

Involuntary Twitch wrote:Haha, I like that idea actually! I'm thinking of adding several new trainer classes to the game. So far we have Actors and Ninja, but I'm planning to add more including Pirates, Divers, Hazmat technicians and more. I think it really adds to the atmosphere.

Ah, cool! You ARE using the Hazmat technician class. Very Happy

But I am very interested in how some of those other classes will be incorporated, especially with off-beat variants.

JDogindy
Barewl
Barewl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WubbaG on 2015-05-09, 13:35

You've got Larkenstein or something hes bad
WubbaG
Seikamater
Seikamater

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/WubbaG

Back to top Go down

Post by LoverIan on 2015-05-10, 04:01

Personally I was going to suggest a Cosplayer trainer type, with specific sprites based on what they're cosplaying. Mainly so the Nepeta, Equius, Feferi, and I forget the fourth troll that are in game have pokemon standins.

Surprising Tavros isn't in game. (as far in game as I am. It'd be interesting if he isn't, that he gets added saying 'this isn't fiduspawn is it')
LoverIan
Tofurang
Tofurang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch on 2015-05-10, 19:23

I'm not really into Homestuck anymore as much as I was when I wrote the dialogue for those NPCs. (Actually, it's kind of a miracle that more references didn't make it in, considering how obsessed I was with it for the longest time.) But I think that sort of thing would be alienating to players who don't know what Homestuck is. Also, where was the NPC that you thought was referencing Feferi? I don't remember including her... the only ones I remember including are Nia and Eric on the cruise ship.

The best kind of reference is one that's not really noticeable for people who don't get it, and a nice thrill for the people that do.

Involuntary Twitch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LoverIan on 2015-05-10, 19:53

True. I thought it'd be interesting to at least give them sprites that make the hint slightly more obvious.

There was one I thought that was supposed to be feferi on the beach. All she ever said was glub.
Though there was also Yuki Nagato referencing the endless eight.

EDIT: On the note of references you've got a good point.
LoverIan
Tofurang
Tofurang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyDragon on 2015-05-10, 22:57

I don't get it. Which is why it's probably good to keep the references very subtle. I never even noticed any references while playing through the game, even though I read all the dialogue.
CrazyDragon
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch on 2015-05-10, 23:52

LoverIan wrote:True. I thought it'd be interesting to at least give them sprites that make the hint slightly more obvious.

There was one I thought that was supposed to be feferi on the beach. All she ever said was glub.
Though there was also Yuki Nagato referencing the endless eight.

EDIT: On the note of references you've got a good point.
Okay, but consider this: making extra sprites for a throwaway reference is extra work that I'd rather not do.

And er, "glub" is just onomatopoeia for bubbles under water, not an intentional reference, but you're welcome to interpret it however you like! Death of the author and all that. Nice catch on the Endless Eight reference though. In general Route 06's dialogues are chock full of references. There's a nudge to YGOTAS and some Monty Python references in there as well, did you catch those?

I really should do more referential dialogues... but like I said before, it's hard to strike the right balance between general enough that it won't confuse outsiders but specific enough that you'll get it if you're in on the joke. Though, that hasn't stopped us from including references to Naruto, LoL/DotA, Skyrim, and of course, lots and lots of EarthBound shout-outs.

Involuntary Twitch
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LoverIan on 2015-05-11, 06:46

In all honesty I did think of that. It's the main caveat of suggestions in general "hey these people have lives, and this takes time". Though my mind then goes "hrm, how hard is it to learn the spriting and how to format things for insertion into the game". In all honesty does it make things more feasible suggestion wise if we're able to pitch in a good deal of the work? For that throwaway reference I completely see where you're coming from, but I still want to ask if there's more we can do to help.

I did notice those two. I'm trying to remember which was YGOTAS. The gurl gamr one was pretty funny. In general I loved the science-y sidenotes in Sheldon's Gym.
The referential dialogues are great.
With the Elder Scrolls Series, how does this reference sound?
Have a Feleng in a house somewhere early in a game (when translated) introduce themselves as Ma'iq and say various things relating to the pokemon series.
It's another throwaway, but also a way to spoon in cheek critique things like HM05 Defog, and possibly a writing contest.
"Ma'iq was nearly captured in a pokeball once, it was terrible. You should think about that once in a while."
LoverIan
Tofurang
Tofurang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top