[ 1 ]
83% 83% 
[ 10 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 12

Return to Pokemon

Post by Lord Lance on 2015-04-13, 03:49

I quit on Pokemon a year ago after four HG/SS ROM file saves failed on me. Returned and played B/W 2, only to be bored stiff [I suppose it could work that way too...]

Anywho, I searched a few weeks ago for Pokemon torrents and came across Uranium, thinking this is one of those fake (unaware of the whole field of XRG and ROM hacks despite playing for 10 years /for shame). Upon searching, I discovered that it is a fan made Pokemon game entirely. Even unique and new Pokemon and not a single Pokemon from the Original Series is reused. Balls.

It's a sad when the fan creations outclass the source by a wide margin.

HOW FINISHED IS THIS GAME?

I am currently on the verge of starting my first Pokemon adventure for the same reasons that many do:

Features
Story
Plot
Variety
Difficulty

I am split for which game to start with. Recommendations? Is there any PokeDex for all Pokemon information (a la PsyPoke)?

Lord Lance
Barewl
Barewl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Return to Pokemon

Post by sovest555 on 2015-04-13, 11:33

I will say one thing: Reborn sets the new standard for difficulty. I mean, Uranium is not a walk in the park, but Reborn is LEGENDARY for how hard it is (not to mention that it has a LEVEL cap.) Other than that, as far as I know, all of the four you had in your poll have great Features, Story, Plot, and Variety. It is just the difficulty that sets these apart, I would assume.

Also, Uranium's mostly-fakemon dex is on its wiki (for the most part), so no worries there.

Planned team after v5
Metalynx Nucleon Yatagaryu Blubelrog Seikamater Winotinger
sovest555
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

View user profile http://ourpurestdarkness.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch on 2015-04-13, 20:00

Well, having played / had some experience with all of your options (particularly Uranium, since I made it after all). I'll break the four down based on your categories (while consolidating Story and Plot together because, er, they're the same aren't they?):

Reborn - http://pokemonreborn.com/

Features: Reborn uses all 700+ Pokemon, has 18 gyms (one for every type), interesting new game locations like dilapidated cities and introduces a cool new battle mechanic in field effects, which add an extra strategic layer to Pokemon battles. The graphics are R/S/E style, nothing to write home about but they get the job done. There's a lot to explore and discover.

Plot: Reborn's plot is pretty cool, there are lots of characters who develop and change over the course of the story. I haven't played through it all the way, but it is darker than your average game with character death, violence, a dystopian setting, etc. Definitely not your usual pokemon fare, will certainly keep you interested. It's still unfinished, but currently has 12 out of 18 badges and plenty of hours of gameplay. It's released in "episodes" with one Gym per ep.

Variety: Uses Pokemon from all 6 generations. The field effects mechanic adds a new layer of strategy in battle. I liked hunting for Pokemon in the hub city (where they are fairly hard to come by). Overall the new mechanics and interesting story keeps the gameplay feeling fresh.

Difficulty: HARD AS BALLS. Did I mention it has a level cap? This game is brutally difficult & will put you through the wringer. You gotta use strategy to think this one through.

Do I recommend?: Yes

Insurgence

Features: Tons of stuff including Secret Bases and something akin to Virtual Trainer in Uranium, also Delta Pokemon, armored Pokemon, and new Mega Evolutions to add more strategic layers to battle. Graphics are 4th Gen style and are pretty good looking.

Plot: Has to do with Legendary-worshiping cults and revolutions and something about the Hero being a Chosen One. A little closer to standard Pokemon games, but still different enough to keep things interesting. Currently unfinished, the latest beta is only about a third of the game, so you'll definitely be wanting more after you beat it.

Variety: No fakemon, but new delta species (that's Pokemon with different types than normal) and battle armor and new Mega evos. I wasn't really impressed with the mapping in this game -- too much open space -- but the battles are pretty cool.

Difficulty: Harder than normal Pokemon games, but that's not saying a whole lot. Probably Nuzlockeable.

Do I recommend?: Yes, but bear in mind it's not complete right now.

Zeta/Omicron

Features: I'll be honest, I haven't played this one very much. I do know that it has all 720 Pokemon and some new Megas, plus Shadow Pokemon and some other new mechanics, but that's about it. It's a complete game (made by thesuzerain, same developer as Insurgence). I'm pretty sure it's Insurgence's prequel too.

Plot: Something something Evil Team tries to take over the world. Didn't really hold my interest, to be honest.

Variety: There's... a lot of different Pokemon? I guess? Also I made a sprite for the fakemon legendary. Yeah, I don't know very much about it...

Difficulty: I reached the first cave in the game and got my ass beat by a Whismur.

Do I recommend?: Not really, although it is the only finished game on the list.

Uranium

Features: This is the only game on the list with a majority of all-new Pokemon. There's more than 100 Fakemon in Uranium, plus a handful of canon 'mons, many of whom (like Mankey, Dunsparce and Corsola) have new evolutions or preevolutions. There's also a new type, Nuclear-type. The game also has a GTS system, Virtual Trainers and PvP, allowing you to battle against your friends' teams. There's a built-in Nuzlocke Mode, too. You can look up info about Pokemon, etc. on our Wiki: http://pokemon-uranium.wikia.com/

Plot: Involves mysterious power plant meltdowns and nuclear fallout affecting Pokemon and turning them into vicious Nuclear-types. The whole plot isn't in the latest beta, so you'll probably leave with more questions than answers... at least until the next game release. The current beta has 7 out of 8 gyms and most of the Pokemon, though not all.

Variety: 115 brand-new Pokemon to discover and a new type means that there's new stuff on every route. There's also lots of new kinds of areas including a beach desert area, a rainforest, a city based on Venice, underwater routes, and fallout zones.

Difficulty: It's fairly easy at first, but the difficulty really begins to spike at around the 5th Gym.

Do I recommend?: Well, of course! I didn't spend 6 years of my life working on this to not recommend it! Of these games, I think it comes the closest to the original experience of playing Pokemon and making new discoveries, but we also tried our best to mix things up and keep things from seeming formulaic.

Admin

View user profile http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post by Lord Lance on 2015-04-14, 11:05

Involuntary Twitch wrote:Well, having played / had some experience with all of your options (particularly Uranium, since I made it after all). I'll break the four down based on your categories (while consolidating Story and Plot together because, er, they're the same aren't they?):

Reborn

Features: Reborn uses all 700+ Pokemon, has 18 gyms (one for every type), interesting new game locations like dilapidated cities and introduces a cool new battle mechanic in field effects, which add an extra strategic layer to Pokemon battles. The graphics are R/S/E style, nothing to write home about but they get the job done. There's a lot to explore and discover.

Plot: Reborn's plot is pretty cool, there are lots of characters who develop and change over the course of the story. I haven't played through it all the way, but it is darker than your average game with character death, violence, a dystopian setting, etc. Definitely not your usual pokemon fare, will certainly keep you interested. It's still unfinished, but currently has 12 out of 18 badges and plenty of hours of gameplay. It's released in "episodes" with one Gym per ep.

Variety: Uses Pokemon from all 6 generations. The field effects mechanic adds a new layer of strategy in battle. I liked hunting for Pokemon in the hub city (where they are fairly hard to come by). Overall the new mechanics and interesting story keeps the gameplay feeling fresh.

Difficulty: HARD AS BALLS. Did I mention it has a level cap? This game is brutally difficult & will put you through the wringer. You gotta use strategy to think this one through.

Do I recommend?: Yes

Insurgence

Features: Tons of stuff including Secret Bases and something akin to Virtual Trainer in Uranium, also Delta Pokemon, armored Pokemon, and new Mega Evolutions to add more strategic layers to battle. Graphics are 4th Gen style and are pretty good looking.

Plot: Has to do with Legendary-worshiping cults and revolutions and something about the Hero being a Chosen One. A little closer to standard Pokemon games, but still different enough to keep things interesting. Currently unfinished, the latest beta is only about a third of the game, so you'll definitely be wanting more after you beat it.

Variety: No fakemon, but new delta species (that's Pokemon with different types than normal) and battle armor and new Mega evos. I wasn't really impressed with the mapping in this game -- too much open space -- but the battles are pretty cool.

Difficulty: Harder than normal Pokemon games, but that's not saying a whole lot. Probably Nuzlockeable.

Do I recommend?: Yes, but bear in mind it's not complete right now.

Zeta/Omicron

Features: I'll be honest, I haven't played this one very much. I do know that it has all 720 Pokemon and some new Megas, plus Shadow Pokemon and some other new mechanics, but that's about it. It's a complete game (made by thesuzerain, same developer as Insurgence). I'm pretty sure it's Insurgence's prequel too.

Plot: Something something Evil Team tries to take over the world. Didn't really hold my interest, to be honest.

Variety: There's... a lot of different Pokemon? I guess? Also I made a sprite for the fakemon legendary. Yeah, I don't know very much about it...

Difficulty: I reached the first cave in the game and got my ass beat by a Whismur.

Do I recommend?: Not really, although it is the only finished game on the list.

Uranium

Features: This is the only game on the list with a majority of all-new Pokemon. There's more than 100 Fakemon in Uranium, plus a handful of canon 'mons, many of whom (like Mankey, Dunsparce and Corsola) have new evolutions or preevolutions. There's also a new type, Nuclear-type. The game also has a GTS system, Virtual Trainers and PvP, allowing you to battle against your friends' teams. There's a built-in Nuzlocke Mode, too. You can look up info about Pokemon, etc. on our Wiki.

Plot: Involves mysterious power plant meltdowns and nuclear fallout affecting Pokemon and turning them into vicious Nuclear-types. The whole plot isn't in the latest beta, so you'll probably leave with more questions than answers... at least until the next game release. The current beta has 7 out of 8 gyms and most of the Pokemon, though not all.

Variety: 115 brand-new Pokemon to discover and a new type means that there's new stuff on every route. There's also lots of new kinds of areas including a beach desert area, a rainforest, a city based on Venice, underwater routes, and fallout zones.

Difficulty: It's fairly easy at first, but the difficulty really begins to spike at around the 5th Gym.

Do I recommend?: Well, of course! I didn't spend 6 years of my life working on this to not recommend it! Of these games, I think it comes the closest to the original experience of playing Pokemon and making new discoveries, but we also tried our best to mix things up and keep things from seeming formulaic.

If Uranium sticks close to the formula, then I suspect it'll be a bore? Why so harsh on Zeta, though? Was the story non-existent like... the series? Or despite the bad story, it had no redeeming features? As I see it, it has 100 hours of gameplay spread across three major regions.

Otherwise, how long is Uranium as it stands? 50 hours? And what is the expected completion curve? 2016/17? Or are you absolutely clueless on it? Lastly, is there any guarantee of you not abandoning the project as 99% are? The list stands with only a few mentions: Zeta, Metal, Ascension, Gray Topaz, Heroes, Shadow Origins, Adventures in Aloma, Pokémon XD Lords of Shadow, Raptor EX Version. Out of these, only Metal and Ascension are noted. Wonder why none of the others are mentioned. Among the remakes, only Crystal Rain remains truly complete. And if someone does the math of probably 18 years of ROM Hacks/XRGS - the concluding figure is rather depressing. Rate of successful project completions shouldn't be so low.

Any few of Metal, Ascension, Gray Topaz, Heroes or Shadow Origins?

I suspect if Uranium's story is better than Zeta, than Zeta will be in the can and vice-versa. As of now, I await your reply.

Lord Lance
Barewl
Barewl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch on 2015-04-14, 16:35

No, of course not -- what I meant to say was that Uranium comes the closest to the original Pokemon games R/B/Y in terms of recapturing the feeling of exploration, mystery and discovery. We oftentimes deliberately go out of our way to stray from the formula, although some constants -- such as Gyms -- remain the same. I don't think it should be predictable, though.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh on Zeta/Omicron. The truth is that I only played it a little and it failed to hold my interest. I can't tell you much about the story or characters, although I do know that it has a lot of characters that are re-used from older series games. I'm not a big fan of having old characters (like Archie, Giovanni, N, Professor Oak, etc.) return in new storylines, personally I think it's a cheap way to get around writing your own original characters.

I haven't heard of most of the games on your list (besides Raptor EX), but it seems to me like you're grossly underestimating the amount of work it takes to release a playable game, let alone a finished one. It takes a lot of dedication, careful planning and endless trial and error to make a good game with a tiny team and zero budget.

Pokemon Uranium is about 15 hours long right now, so it's not super lengthy but it has a lot of variety and little to no padding. And no, we don't have a final release date -- frankly, I'm tired of people asking for one. The core team is made up of just 2 of us, and it's taken us nearly 7 years to reach this point in Uranium's development; this game is a work of love and we're trying to make it the best that can be.

In the end, you can play whatever games you want; it's all free, after all. Or if you're still not sure, you can watch a Let's Play to see if it's the kind of thing you might enjoy.

Admin

View user profile http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Lance on 2015-04-15, 04:21

Involuntary Twitch wrote:No, of course not -- what I meant to say was that Uranium comes the closest to the original Pokemon games R/B/Y in terms of recapturing the feeling of exploration, mystery and discovery. We oftentimes deliberately go out of our way to stray from the formula, although some constants -- such as Gyms -- remain the same. I don't think it should be predictable, though.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh on Zeta/Omicron. The truth is that I only played it a little and it failed to hold my interest. I can't tell you much about the story or characters, although I do know that it has a lot of characters that are re-used from older series games. I'm not a big fan of having old characters (like Archie, Giovanni, N, Professor Oak, etc.) return in new storylines, personally I think it's a cheap way to get around writing your own original characters.

I haven't heard of most of the games on your list (besides Raptor EX), but it seems to me like you're grossly underestimating the amount of work it takes to release a playable game, let alone a finished one. It takes a lot of dedication, careful planning and endless trial and error to make a good game with a tiny team and zero budget.

Pokemon Uranium is about 15 hours long right now, so it's not super lengthy but it has a lot of variety and little to no padding. And no, we don't have a final release date -- frankly, I'm tired of people asking for one. The core team is made up of just 2 of us, and it's taken us nearly 7 years to reach this point in Uranium's development; this game is a work of love and we're trying to make it the best that can be.

In the end, you can play whatever games you want; it's all free, after all. Or if you're still not sure, you can watch a Let's Play to see if it's the kind of thing you might enjoy.

There is a level of skepticism regarding completion of these projects if the game is years away from completion. I am sorry for asking, truly. On Insurgence and Reborn forums, they gave a very rough answer, so I supposed that perhaps even if your next patch was a few months or a year from now, you'd still have a long term plan. I also had no clue that you guys were unfunded, two man team. That makes developing a finished game daunting indeed. I know that game developing is nut-cracking, patience-testing, time-consuming, exhausting, long process. My intention wasn't to dissent developers by stating, "Its just a Pokemon game. How long can it take? Why are you so slow? You aren't quitters like the rest, are you?" I remember though that the developer of the NDS Pokemon Platinum quit solely because he wasn't prepared to handle the troubleshooting of all NDS issues. I also think that most people take on a massive responsibility when they develop these games. They create hordes of fans and a whole little dedicated cult/fanbase. And to then, simply, abandon the project is a little harsh. Even if because of RL, they should still give the code/data to other interested developers/promise a undecided return date. Former works better. Any forum of Pokefangames would be filled with XRG developers. . We've been down that road multiple times. Apologies, nonetheless.

"capturing the feel"? Other games don't? What exactly is the feel? Nostalgia, you mean? I certainly endorse nostalgia but at the same time, I also endorse games who go bold in the other step. By reworking combat, storylines, themes and/or psychopathic murder frenzies.

Thank you for enlightening me on Zeta's NPCs. It is sad to hear they re-used older characters instead of going for 100% originality. I don't even remember who Archie is. Been a long time...

I did watch walkthroughs of all four games and none of them look even slightly bad. All hold such great promise that only playing them will do 'em justice. I might just do a dice roll. Best of three. tongue

How many hours of new stuff is being added in the latest patch - which can be released weeks from now, I do not care about it.

Lord Lance
Barewl
Barewl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum