Pokémon Uranium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post)

5 posters

Go down

I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post) Empty I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post)

Post by tadoke 2015-02-18, 00:21

I can be very patient playing this beta, there was a lot of great potential that I had enjoyed. Understandably bugs/glitches are unavoidable during development.
To begin, defining my made up analogy term of "Bear-Trap":
(A gaming mechanic unknown to the player, designed by developer that negativity affects the gamer). EX: Electronic Art's Sim City online requirement in order to play.
I'm not 100% if this post needs to be in here or in "Troubleshooting, (shrugs). To J.V. who credits himself to "Coding the game, Scripting events" I take responsibility for this pathetic rant but some foreshadowing, You are likely not going to agree let alone appreciate my opinion. But in truth as much as I can ignore this game and move on so can you in regards to my opinion. Anyway, on with the show.

So, I often find myself getting "bear trapped" for saving in locations where you can not back track.Admittedly, I failed to follow my own paranoid protocols of having backup saves and I'm half frustrated at myself for this mistake. My current save file location is in front of Leader Iago. After struggling with Iago and failing with Rosalind did I learn the sliding floor prevents you from exiting Venesi Gym to restock up items, heal or lvl up your pkmn. Only option is to lose some of the cash I've earn and accept it like a normal adult...
BUT
My patience has eroded to this extremely critical but obviously inconvenient/ineffective game design view:
'On average, every gym attempt* there is a "bear trap" which hinders gameplay for simply 'stepping'(saving) in the wrong location.'.
Yes, game design and programming is time consuming and challenging with the goal of creating fun entertainment. But I can't find the logic for these traps, which were the very reason I created my own independent backup saves to rely on and invest into the wikia hoping no other gamer suffers as I have. Nope, I am no professional game designer yet my years of gaming experience has taught me this; "trapping" and "punishing" a player is not entertaining or rewarding. It's emotionally hurtful and negative.

I would honestly love to do much more than whine over a hobbyist's video game through the internet, but that's life. If anything, I have to do something effective with my anger in desperation that it may help other gamers. With that comes this negativity and I throw out my stereotypical "nice" Can-a-DUH-ness to devolve to a cynical sarcastic jerk.

Remember when a user bawled about renaming the Wondertrade to ChyinmunkTrade? I muted myself but totally agreed. Predictably give internetors access to a system and they will troll it up so bad with numerous low level Pkmn that my own dozen attempts I decided, "Never again". (Sigh) Getting sidetrack but here's my Radioacid opinion:
Have you considered renaming Pokémon Uranium to Pokémon Bear-Trap? Despite the game claiming to be about irradiated Pkmn to me it's consistent gaming elements are these traps. Only a tiny few Nuclear type Pkmn are usable. The rest are feral thus unusable. Why design a unique Pkmn Type and Pkmn to be not usable for players? I will vouch the majority of Fakémons are awesome but they're not nuclear type nor core to the narrative.

I expect others will take this as typical "rage-quit", but below is a list of "bear-traps". A term I angrily created myself to express what is not the first time experiencing a loss of gaming experience. Not because of unforeseen errors but because of deliberate human game design. Any comments or defensive attempts, give 'er ya best shot. I'm open to any criticism. It's late, I'm upset Rolling Eyes  and now to cuddle chinchillas and meditate before bed. Le siiigh.

• After 2nd gym badge: Comet Cave entering, no going back. Complete comet cave, again no going back into cave until much later.
  • Nuclear Plant 1: Visit island, no return until completion whereby you can never go back to the island ever.
  • After 3rd gym badge: Board Ferry, no back track till fight Theo which afterwards can't return to ferry let alone Bealbeach until later
  • After 4th gym badge: Defeat Theo and abandon Vinoville,Route 8 & S51 if missed sidequest, until much later update release.
  • Route 11: Approach and automatically taken to Route no back tracking. Complete this sidequest and no return until later update release.
  • 5th gym attempt: Enter Deeper Anthell, no back track. Defeat Seikamater and no return to Deeper Anthell ever.
  • 6th gym attempt: Solve the sliding floor puzzle will trap you in front of Iago with no way to return.
  • 7th gym attempt: Albeit a bug and fixed for update, still for current unwary players its impossible to progress if you leave or lose at the 7th gym at any time
tadoke
tadoke
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post) Empty Re: I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post)

Post by JD516 2015-02-18, 01:50

Wow, if that's your reaction to this simple game, please never play Dark Souls.

JD516
Barewl
Barewl

Back to top Go down

I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post) Empty Re: I've lost my patience due to "Bear-Traps" (Warning, long "Rage quit" rant post)

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2015-02-18, 18:06

Sorry you're feeling frustrated. Some of the scenarios you described will be phased out or, being the result of bugs, will be fixed soon (for instance we are changing the 1st nuclear quest to be non-missable) and we'll change some other things to be non-missable as well. Some of the cases are for added emotion or heightened stakes, for instance dropping the player through a trapdoor in Rosalind's gym or getting abducted on Route 16 after talking to the Owten in the Silverport lab (...actually, it looks like you haven't gotten to that part yet). But some of the no-return points, like the Bealbeach Ferry and Comet Cave, are kind of pointless and I agree that they could use a different approach. I actually think that phase of the game is rather sloppy and could use some cleaning up, we'll look into it in future versions. Perhaps we could make the ferry run both ways? It is a ferry after all...

To an extent I agree with you, it can be uncomfortable and frustrating to be unexpectedly forced into a point of no return with no prior warning. I understand how that can be infuriating to a new player. I just want you to keep in mind that Uranium is a different style of Pokemon game, and I've been taking liberties and experimenting with the game format to tell new kinds of stories. It is difficult, yes, and some aspects might need a little rebalancing, but no part of the game is meant to be impossible. All of the storytelling decisions I have made with the intent to shape the player's experience and tell a new, hopefully more interesting and suspenseful, story.
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by estrebel12 2015-04-01, 16:34

yay the sidequests can be done if you miss it in the near future

estrebel12
Baashaun
Baashaun

Back to top Go down

Post by sovest555 2015-04-10, 16:12

On the topic of the ferry: Although the ferry is nice and all, it is a little unfair that it just kicks you out once you defeat Theo. Perhaps make it so that the player can at least heal up before heading out of the boat, considering they JUST had a rival battle and all.
sovest555
sovest555
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

http://ourpurestdarkness.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2015-04-10, 16:18

sovest555 wrote:On the topic of the ferry: Although the ferry is nice and all, it is a little unfair that it just kicks you out once you defeat Theo. Perhaps make it so that the player can at least heal up before heading out of the boat, considering they JUST had a rival battle and all.
True, although to be fair, there is a Nurse in the Pokemon Day Care on the next route.

I'm 100% all for the boat not kicking you off immediately after defeating Theo, though.
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down