Pokémon Uranium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance

4 posters

Go down

NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance Empty NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance

Post by tadoke 2015-01-28, 19:24

Finno Sheep's has a good idea post: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and got me thinking...
To some extent, the NPC's dialogues lack useful info. I can't make any direct references ATM. To give credit, I can't imagine the hours it required to imagine, write, edit, program, test, and re test ALL of the umpten million NPC dialogues found throughout Tandor.

What I would like to contribute is collecting and paraphrasing info normally found in the technical wikias.In GEN II when a trainer would call you can slip in pokemon info, I loved it. Not expecting cell phone mechanic, but NPCs who chat about real game facts.

For ex:
>Hiker at Route 2, "Don't let this small field fool you, or a Kinetmunk may get the jump on you". Rare Pkmn encounter info.
>Gym Leader Cali hinting, "I really love my Cararalm but it gets really excited whenever I pass by the Coconut Milk Vendor". Unusual Pkmn evolution methods
>A Trainer outside Comet Cave, "It's really dark in that cave, I can't even use my new Kevlar speedy bicycle". Remind player about a useful key item before proceeding ahead.
>Bealbeach Mart Cafe NPC, "The Soda Pop here is great, it's a very cost effective healing item" Technical info, it's 2nd most cost effective(5$/HP) when compared to certain potions(Super Potion 14$/HP).

Below (WIP) are examples of IMO Good Dialogue (expands the story, adds humor, or otherwise easter egg references).
* Priest Sermons provide lore to the narrative
* Children NPCs playing older GEN pokemon games
* Citizens of Burole town diss'ing other towns
* Referencing history (NPC citing Gym Leader Maria winning prev tournament)
*Scientists on Nuclear Plant I describing the erratic behaviors of Nuclear type

I'd love to hear input from the community
tadoke
tadoke
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance Empty Re: NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance

Post by TheWretched_Spawn 2015-01-28, 19:47

I like the Hiker outside of Rochfale that says something like "I hate how people always think us lumberjacks are cross dressers. Kilts don't count!" It's a reference from a Monty Python movie Smile
TheWretched_Spawn
TheWretched_Spawn
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance Empty Re: NPC's dialogue include facts, credits, jokes to add significance

Post by tadoke 2015-01-28, 19:50

which movie, Holy Grail? I love those movies but I completely failed to get that reference :S
tadoke
tadoke
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWretched_Spawn 2015-01-28, 20:22

It's from Monty Python's Flying Circus Smile
TheWretched_Spawn
TheWretched_Spawn
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-01-28, 20:25

It might happen with the phone thing, though I don't know how JV programmed that so don't take my word for it.

I recently went over the entirety of the game's text and edited it for spelling, grammar, and consistency both internally and with the official games. That includes not just dialogue but Pokedex entries, move names/descriptions, item text, and all that jazz (though the dialogue still took the majority of the time I spent on it). For some statistics, the full text file measures in about 1,176 pages in Microsoft Word at size-11 font, and the editing process took me roughly six days.

So uh, the existing text probably won't change too much from what I did with it (I didn't make any major changes, it was mostly just cleaning it up), but it might be added in other ways.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by tadoke 2015-01-28, 22:11

Were you the only person developing the dialogue? If so, that's quite the job for one person, so cheers with most of the current dialogue.

Would you, or whomever, accept help in future dialogue development? I don't mean typing out opinions on forums, I'm talking about taking some of the work load. Proof reading, fact chking, all that tedious snazz  Wink
tadoke
tadoke
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury45 2015-01-28, 22:19

All the dialogue in the current version of the game was written by Twitch and JV, I believe (though I don't know exactly which parts or how much of a split it is). I did the revision on my own, though.

I'm not the person to ask about helping the team, as I'm a fairly recent addition myself - I got promoted to mod and helping out more with the game because I've been playing the game for a while and was active in the community and beta testing. Unless JV/Twitch says otherwise, my advice would be to wait and see if they advertise for needing a hand with development, which would probably be posted here on the forums or on the Tumblr page.
Mercury45
Mercury45
Inflagetah
Inflagetah

Back to top Go down

Post by tadoke 2015-01-28, 22:30

Cool, and thanks for clearing that up. Smile
tadoke
tadoke
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Involuntary Twitch 2015-02-01, 12:56

I wrote most of the dialogue in the game, including the references, jokes, as well as all of the events and story. I've tried to inject details and flavor about game mechanics and the world of Tandor into the game script.
Involuntary Twitch
Involuntary Twitch
Admin

http://oripoke.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tadoke 2015-02-01, 14:29

I wish I could give more specific references that would be more useful. It's been pointed out there's a lot of dialogue throughout the entire game. Overall I am happy with the texts Smile
Probably chose wrong words by saying, "To some extent, the NPC's dialogues lack useful info." I'll rephrase.
"Statistically there's a small percentage of dialogue that, in my limited opinion, may be improved. "
I feel I'm stepping on creative feet so I'll accept Merc's advice; "If input is needed, someone will advertise".
tadoke
tadoke
Tofurang
Tofurang

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum